Church World Service is calling for all people of faith and conscience to tell Congress, “loudly and clearly,” that their constituents want funding for detention, deportation, and border militarization to be cut in favor of “prioritization of human needs, community-based, non-restrictive alternatives to detention, and relief and support to communities.”
The “Families Belong Together” campaign comes as Congress considers the level of funding for border control for fiscal year 2020. It calls for the following:
- Sign a letter by the close of business on Friday, Sept. 20, urging Congress “to end family separation, detention, and border militarization, stop terrorizing our immigrant neighbors, and uphold the God-given dignity of all people.
- Call your two senators and one representative, to say (for example):
“I’m your constituent from [city or town] and as a [person of faith] I urge you to cut funding for detention, deportation, and border militarization. I don’t want Congress to write a check to deport and detain my community members. I urge you to do everything you can to see detention, deportation, and border militarization funding reduced in fiscal year 2020 – and to hold the Department of Homeland Security accountable for immoral and cruel attacks against asylum seekers, immigrants, and other vulnerable populations. My community welcomes and values immigrants, and I urge you to do the same.”
Click here to receive a phone call that connects you to your senators and representative.
- Share the message on Twitter and Facebook. Here are sample posts:
- .@[MEMBER OF CONGRESS]: I call on Congress to fund a moral budget that stops fueling family separation & cuts funding for detention, deportation, border militarization #DefundHate
- .@[MEMBER OF CONGRESS] invest in families & communities, NOT in DHS’s plan to tear families apart and turn away asylum seekers. We’re better than this #DefundHate
Click on this link to share directly with the members of Congress who represent you.