Annual Conference Session (ACS) attendees will become a voice for children on Thursday, June 20 by taking part in a candlelight prayer vigil calling attention to the plight of children around the world, and by making a commitment to act on behalf of their concerns.
The vigil, “Listen to Our Children,” will begin at 9 p.m., immediately after the close of the evening session, in Modesto Centre Plaza, 1000 L Street, just outside the DoubleTree Hotel. It is scheduled to end at 9:45 p.m.
The vigil is sponsored by the California-Nevada Annual Conference Compassion and Justice Mission Focus Area; conference Advocacy and Justice and Mission Services Committees; Cal-Nev United Methodist Women; and the conference’s Young People's Ministry.
- To educate and engage members of the annual conference concerning threats and violations to the wellbeing, dignity, and human rights of children here at home and around the world. (Examples include but are not limited to: Incarceration, separation from family, criminalization, poverty, disruption of education, human trafficking, racism, violence, and climate change.)
- To invite conference leadership, churches, and individuals to engage in a collective commitment to children in the following ways:
- Endorsement and promotion of state and federal legislation that: Affirms and protects the rights of children; provides programs to lift children and families out of poverty; and addresses the particular needs of children affected by the trauma of violence, abuse, and neglect.
- Strengthening and encouraging conference and local church ministries that impact children.
- To create space for a prayerful time to reset our compass on collective ministry during this time of denominational pain and struggle.
- To strengthen the collaborative work of conference ministries.
Learn more about the ministries provided by the vigil sponsors by visiting their tables at ACS.