Discernment is the practice of listening for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Who calls us to deeper understanding of where love and grace live. It requires that we want what God wants, and from this posture we can cultivate the capacities for listening deeply to that holy desire.
The 2019 Discernment Retreat, taking place October 25-27 at Lake Tahoe United Methodist Church and Retreat Center, is designed to lead you into a deeper understanding and practice of discernment. Over time and with practice, spiritual discernment can become a natural orientation to a life lived from a place of freedom and joy.
- You will learn how to access the wisdom of your heart and body and align it with your mind.
- You will take away a toolbox of spiritual practices to help deepen your capacity to discern the movement of the Spirit in your life.
- You will learn how to incorporate the practice of discernment for accessing and implementing innovative ideas in the life of the church.
Retreat leader will be Beth Estock, a leadership coach and consultant, a contemplative by nature, an ordained elder in The United Methodist Church, and a yoga instructor. She is the author of Discernment, one of the eight disciplines in the Holy Living series, edited by Elaine Heath. Beth also co-authored the book Weird Church: Welcome to the Twenty-first Century.
Cost to attend the retreat is $185, which includes two nights’ lodging, five meals, snacks and coffee/tea service, along with the program fee – or $135, which covers program fee and the same meals, snacks, etc. but does not include lodging at the retreat center.
Participants should arrive by 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 25. The retreat will conclude with Sunday lunch on the 27th.
Retreat participants should pack:
- sleeping bag or bedding
- clothes that will allow for enjoyment of the beautiful Lake Tahoe surroundings in the fall (Layers are good!)
- a journal
- a blanket or throw
- yoga mat or beach towel
- possibly extra pillows for doing some meditation while lying on the floor and being super comfortable!
Lake Tahoe UMC and Retreat Center is located at 8425 Dolly Varden Ave., Kings Beach, CA 96143. Call 530-546-2290 for more information.