Sacramento Japanese UMC Celebrating 125th

March 22, 2018

This year Sacramento Japanese United Methodist Church (SJUMC) will be celebrating the 125th anniversary of the founding of the original church on Sunday, April 22, 2018, starting with worship services at 10:30 a.m. followed by a Christ, Honoring Our Legacy, Cultivating Our Future”.   Former ministers and their families have been invited.  We are excited to celebrate this occasion with group photo and a special luncheon.   The theme of this celebration is “Rooted in you to remember those faithful Issei and Nisei who persevered through many hardships, knowing God was always there with his continued faithfulness to them.
The Sacramento Japanese Methodist Church was established at its present location in June, 1968 with the merger of Pioneer Methodist Church and Florin Japanese Methodist Church so it is fifty years old; however, its history is rooted with the earliest Japanese immigrants who started their Christian work from about 1891, coming down from San Francisco by riverboat.  The Sacramento Japanese Methodist Church was chartered in 1893 and was active until the onset of World War II when all persons of Japanese ancestry were incarcerated in “relocation” camps.  After the war when the Japanese community returned, the church embarked upon a building project in 1948, and in 1954 the name was changed to the Pioneer Methodist Church.
The Florin Japanese Methodist Church was started in 1913 when Dr. H.B. Johnson met with a handful of young Japanese immigrants to establish a Christian mission in the town of Florin and to organize a Japanese school.  It flourished and grew up to the onset of World War II.  After the war many people did not return to the area, and the numbers in the congregation declined.  The fifty-fifth anniversary in June, 1968 marked the closing of the Florin Japanese Methodist Church to join with the Pioneer Methodist Church to form a new congregation under the name of the Sacramento Japanese United Methodist Church.

All are invited to this event, but reservations are required by April 13, 2018.  To obtain a reservation form, please download one at or call the church office at (916) 421-1017.