Submitting Recommendations, Resolutions, and Petitions for 2019 Annual Conference
December 05, 2018 | by
It’s time to begin thinking about legislation for our Annual Conference Session, June 19-22, 2019, including petitions to the 2020 General Conference. Please note the following guidelines:
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions may be brought before the session by councils, boards, commissions, committees or agencies of the Annual Conference; by a local church, through action of its church council, charge/church conference; or by individual lay members of local churches within the Annual Conference or clergy members of the Annual Conference, directly to the Conference Secretary. Items submitted by agencies and local churches shall include the number of members of that body, the number present, the number voting for, against and abstaining, and the date that the action was taken.
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions shall be submitted without “whereas” clauses, but may include an explanatory statement which shall not be subject to action by the session.
Please submit each document as an email attachment (Microsoft Word is the preferred format). Recommendations, resolutions or petitions received will be acknowledged by the Conference Secretary. Those not conforming to the appropriate format will be returned to the sender for reformatting.
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions involving programmatic activity will be submitted to the Core Team for review.
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions shall include the following:
- Name of the submitting group (or individual, if not submitted by a group)
- Number of members of the submitting group (where applicable)
- Number of members voting for, against, abstaining, and number present when voting
- Date the recommendation, resolution or petition was adopted by the submitting group/individual
- Contact person submitting the recommendation, resolution or petition
- Fiscal impact anticipated if the recommendation, resolution or petition is adopted
- Preference for consideration following Parliamentary Procedure or Petitionary Procedure
(Please review standing rules Division I. C. 5. and 6. on pages 246-247 of the 2018 Journal.)
In order to be considered at the 2019 Annual Conference Session, recommendations, resolutions and petitions must be received by the Conference Secretary by May* 1, 2019
– the deadline established by the Commission on the Annual Conference Session. (Items resulting from situations whose late development prevented their submission prior to the deadline may be considered by the session under the rules found in Division I. F. on pages 250-251 of the 2018 Journal.)
Recommendations, resolutions and petitions should be submitted to the Conference Secretary: By email to Mark.Wharff@cnumc.org
or by postal mail to 2064 Sheldon Drive, Modesto, CA 95350.
If you have questions, please contact Conference Secretary Mark Wharff by email at the address above or by text/voice at 209-614-3802.
set by Commission on the Annual Conference Session at its March 5, 2019 meeting.