Reminder: Peace with Justice Sunday June 7
May 21, 2020 | by Admin
"But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased." — Hebrews 13:16, NKJV
Hebrews 13:16 informs us that God is pleased when we do good and share with each other. Our Peace with Justice Sunday celebration is two weeks away. Your gifts give witness to “God's demand for a faithful, just, disarmed and secure world.” (The Book of Discipline 2016, Par. 263.5)
When members of Mount Pisgah United Methodist Church in Johns Creek, Georgia, learned that only 39 percent of high school English learners in Gwinnett County, Georgia, were graduating with a high school diploma, they decided to get involved. Armed with a grant from the Peace with Justice Sunday offering, they partnered with Corners Reach, a nonprofit organization that works year-round to improve students’ grades. “The goal is to transform students, parents and neighbors to reach their God-given potential and break cycles of poverty and improve our community for all," said Amy Campbell, Corners Reach development director.
We hope your efforts are well underway to conduct your Peace with Justice celebration online. Here are ideas and resources to enrich your worship time together:
Pastor and Leader Kit
- Encourage members to download the resources below and share them with children at home. (Members may also download the resources to share with grandchildren or other children).
- Remind your congregation about the upcoming Peace with Justice Sunday celebration and urge members to attend a worship service online.
- Encourage your youth leader to use youth resources with the youth group.
- Distribute children’s resources to parents and suggest that they use them at home. Your Christian education leaders may reinforce the lessons during online church school.
- Encourage speakers to use the sermon starter to support their message.
- Invite members to download mobile wallpapers to their phones. Ask them to urge their friends and family to use the wallpapers and or share graphics on their social media pages.
- Share poster graphic on social media to remind the congregation about your online Peace with Justice Sunday celebration.
- Use social media cards as visuals during your online worship service to engage participants in worship on your media platforms.
- Remind members to give online at umcgiving.org/givePWJS or add your church's online giving link in your social media posts and streaming comments, if appropriate.
resources are also available in French
: sermon starter, bulletin insert, offering talk, liturgy, poster and social graphics.