Petaluma UMC Fall Kickoff Celebration to Feature Dedication of Plaque by Native Sons of the Golden West
Photo courtesy Petaluma UMC, www.petalumaumc.org.
Petaluma United Methodist Church will celebrate 78 years at its current location and 170 years as a congregation during its fall kickoff celebrationon Sunday, September 8. As part of the festivities the grand officers ofThe Native Sons of the Golden West will present the pastor, Rev. Eric S. Dale (at right), withan historic plaquerecognizing the congregation as one of the oldest in Petaluma and a living part of California history.
Dedication of the historic plaque will take place at 11:30 a.m., after the morning service, on the front lawn. Areception in the church social hall will followat 12:15 p.m.
The United Methodist Church in Petaluma dates to 1849, during the Gold Rush days. The church’s current location at 410 D Street (the corner of 5th and D streets) was consecrated on December 7, 1941. The congregation learned of the attack on Pearl Harbor during the service.
The day’s events on Sept. 8 will include an appearance by a historical character, a Fijian luau, and a celebration of Fijian music in honor of the launch of a Fijian ministry in 2008.
Petaluma UMC “welcomes all to walk with us as we reach out to the community with open hearts, open minds, [and] open doors.”The church hosts two congregations and services each Sunday:A blended worship service in English at 10:30a.m. and a Fijian service at 1p.m.
About the Native Sons of the Golden West:
Native Sons of the Golden West is a fraternal order of native-born Californians founded in 1875 for the purpose of preserving California history. Some of its noteworthy endeavors include the restoration and preservation of Sutter's Fort, the Customs House in Monterey, and General Vallejo's adobe in Petaluma. For more information visit contact Kristofer Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 707-332-2376 (call or text), or visit www.nsgw.org.