Connectional Giving Resources for Churches
As United Methodists we share in the ministry of Christ extended throughout the world. Ours is a ministry of servanthood on behalf of Christ, fulfilling human needs. There is a diversity in the forms this ministry takes which we affirm and support along with acknowledging the unity of spirit which makes us all one.
Our contributions to Apportionments are used within our Conference, the Western Jurisdiction and the General Conference. In addition, our stewardship supports General Advance Specials, Special Offering Sunday causes, and United Methodist Women in Mission. Each of these areas of stewardship are described by pages in this section of cnumc.org.
Our Apportionments: A Portion Meant for Others
Local Church Resources
General Church (World-Wide) Apportionments
- World Service Fund: The World Service Fund provides the basic financial support for United Methodist general program agencies - providing the financial lifeline to a long list of Christian missions and ministries throughout the denomination.
- Africa University Fund: Africa University is the only General Conference-approved degree-granting institution of higher education supported by The United Methodist Church on the continent of Africa. Men and women from 22 countries in Africa receive post-secondary and post graduate degrees.
- Ministerial Education Fund: This fund, essential for The United Methodist Church to continue its commitment to recruit and educate quality pastoral leadership, helps defray the cost of a seminary education for those who are called into ordained and licensed ministry. The fund also equips annual conferences with local pastor courses of study, continuing education and recruitment efforts.
- Black College Fund: Through the Black College Fund, The United Methodist Church helps 11 historically Black United Methodist-related colleges and universities maintain solid, challenging academic programs, strong faculties and well-equipped facilities.
- Episcopal Fund: This fund provides salaries, residences, pensions, travel, office and other benefits for all Bishops of the United Methodist Church.
- Interdenominational Cooperation Fund: Enables United Methodists to have a presence and a voice in the activities of several national and worldwide ecumenical and interreligious organizations.
- General Administration Fund: The General Administration Fund finances the business of The United Methodist Church by insuring trustworthy systems of oversight and financial accountability, in addition to underwriting the costs of General Conference session, funding work of the Judicial Council, maintaining United Methodist official documents and historical artifacts, and designating historical shrines, landmarks and sites.
Western Jurisdictional Apportionments
- Jurisdictional Conference Administration Fund: This fund covers the costs of the quadrennial Jurisdictional Conference sessions and other administrative and program costs.
- Jurisdictional Korean Mission Fund: This fund empowers Korean Mission new church development and ministry in the Western Jurisdiction.
- The Advance (General Advance Specials): Through The Advance, individuals, groups and congregations may choose to donate to any of many ministries and mission. The General board of Global Ministries approves all projects, and 100 percent of all donations goes directly to the cause (administrative costs are paid by World Service).
- World Service Special Gifts: World Service Specials provide the opportunity for "second mile" giving to special projects of general church agencies. Again, 100 percent goes to the selected project.
- United Methodist Special Offering Sundays:
Background information about our Conference's Standing Rules concerning apportionments may be found in the Conference Journal (click on Conference Journal
to read the appropriate section).