Ministry Associate of New Opportunities
Oakland Chinese Community UMC is a 132-year-old congregation located in Oakland’s Chinatown. The congregation is served by two parallel language ministries that gather during separate worship services: English and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese). As the English Ministry confronts aging membership and a decline in worship attendance, the congregation is exploring new opportunities for growth, transformation, and cultivation of new leadership.
The ministry associate of new opportunities partners with the current English Ministry congregation to discern, pursue, and enable new opportunities for growth and transformation within the broader community. This includes special attention to creating new places for new people at CCUMC.
The ministry associate of new opportunities reports to the lead pastor.
- Provide support to the English Ministry of CCUMC (including presence and leadership at weekly Sunday worship services).
- Intentionally build relationships with people and community outside of CCUMC, in Chinatown and beyond, to support the possibility of new opportunities at CCUMC.
- Interface with community groups and organizations that utilize CCUMC space.
Specific duties are to be arranged with the lead pastor and may be tailored to the strengths of the successful candidate, including, but not limited to:
- Assisting the lead pastor with basic administrative, worship, and pastoral duties.
- Planning outreach events that build community between church members and neighbors, friends, community members, and partners in ministry and mission.
- Representing CCUMC at neighborhood functions, meetings, and events.
- Creative worship design and planning new worship opportunities at CCUMC that draw in members of the outside community.
Preferred (but not required) qualifications
- Committed and passionate Christian.
- Experience in bridging the church with the community and the community with the church.
- Skillful collaborator, organizer, and convener.
- Vision for ministry with young adults.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent.
- Worship planning and leading experience.
- Formal theological education.
- Familiarity with the United Methodist Church (must be willing to learn).
- Be able to speak in Cantonese and/or Mandarin.
This position is a lay position. Salary commensurate with experience. Position is half time with the potential to be negotiated up to full time with the right candidate. Position will remain open until filled.
Contact: Steve Chan
321 8th St. Oakland CA 94607