Director of Music Ministry
First United Methodist Church, San Leandro, CA is seeking a director of music ministry. In consultation with the pastor, the director of music ministry (DMM) is responsible for the development, promotion, and implementation of a comprehensive church music program. Our musical ministry has consisted of, and is not limited to, the chancel choir, children’s choir, bell choir, praise band, accompanist, and volunteer musicians. Our worship style includes both traditional and contemporary music.
The music ministry encompasses the Sunday worship service, additional services of the liturgical year (e.g. Christmas Eve, etc.) as well as periodic special events (such as Advent Dinner).
Skills & Requirements
- In consultation with the pastor, the DMM shall develop a set of goals and plans for the service year; the DMM shall submit these to the pastor by early September.
- Provide a choral anthem or other musical offering each Sunday, making every effort to coordinate with the sermon topic or liturgical season. Ensure all musical groups contribute to worship services regularly.
- Oversee regular rehearsal schedules for all musical groups, holding space for sharing and prayer at rehearsals. Ensure music has been practiced sufficiently prior to worship.
- Recruit, train, and equip singers and musicians from within the congregation to participate in the church music program.
- Help develop and introduce new styles of music and congregational hymns.
- Provide direct supervision of the accompanist, early September-early June; providing feedback for the accompanist's annual evaluation. (During the summer the pastor supervises the accompanist).
- Encourage the development of musical, artistic, technical, and spiritual gifts of others.
- Provide leadership for any special musical events or special events requiring the participation of the choir or other musicians.
- Arrange for special music to be provided for Sunday worship services during the summer when the choir does not sing (DMM may delegate this responsibility to a volunteer).
- Working within an approved budget, maintain music library, order music as needed, and notify Trustees when maintenance or tuning of piano and organ is required.
- Always be prepared for practices and Sunday services.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn United Methodist liturgy; however, it is not expected that the DMM be a United Methodist.
- Degree in music or professional certification preferred or underway.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in choral, instrumental, and praise team conducting, and knowledge of diverse musical and liturgical styles.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills to effectively manage multiple choirs.
- Effective communication skills including appropriate use of email and social media.
- Demonstrate good time-management skills by being on time for practices and church services and by using choir practice times effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills to relate well to a diverse congregation and to build an enthusiastic musical team.
- This is a 9-month (early September through Pentecost in early June), part-time, non-benefitted position.
- Salary range, $850-1,050/month, depending on experience.
- The DMM will work closely and collaboratively with the pastor. Job performance will be evaluated by pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC). SPRC is the hiring body.
- Sunday worship is 9:30-11 a.m., with warm-up at 8:30. The chancel and bell choirs have practiced on Thursday nights; the children’s choir has practiced at 11:00 on Sunday.
- FUMC San Leandro is a small, ethnically diverse, multi-generational congregation.
Please submit resume and a short cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: First United Methodist Church, San Leandro
1600 Bancroft Ave. San Leandro CA 94577