Central United Methodist Church is now accepting applications for an accomplished organist and pianist to play at worship services, and accompany the Chancel Choir and other choirs, as well as musicians providing special music. The church organist/accompanist works collaboratively with the Chancel Choir Director and is accountable to the senior pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Play for two Sunday morning worship services (8:30 and 11:00 a.m.) and at other scheduled services of worship.
- Select and play music for the Prelude, Offertory, Postlude, and other parts of the services as requested (e.g., Holy Communion).
- Provide the information for the Prelude, Offertory, and Postlude to the church administrator at least one week in advance.
- Accompany the Chancel Choir, Children’s/Youth Choir (as needed), soloists, and select musical ensembles.
- Accompany the Chancel Choir from the first Sunday of September through the first Sunday of June. The Chancel Choir rehearses at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays.
- Accompany the Chancel Choir, Children’s/Youth Choir (as needed), soloists, and select musical ensembles for rehearsals as scheduled by the Chancel Choir director.
- Lead and accompany hymns.
- Prepare and play for special worship services; for example, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week Services, as well as other services scheduled by the senior pastor.
- Play for funerals, memorial services, weddings, etc. as requested and when available, but under separate compensation arrangements.
- Oversee, in consultation with the Board of Trustees, maintenance of the church organ, pianos, and keyboards.
- Attend staff meetings if requested by the senior pastor.
- Arrange, when necessary, for a substitute organist/accompanist for both rehearsals and scheduled services.
- Confer with the senior pastor and Chancel Choir director on absences and arrangements for substitutes.
- Confer regularly with the senior pastor and Chancel Choir director on matters relating to church music programs and needs.
Knowledge of: Organ and other keyboard literature, Christian hymnody, and liturgical music. Ability to: Play the organ and piano at an advanced level of proficiency. Rehearse with and accompany choirs, soloists, and other musicians.
Prior experience as a church organist and accompanist. Education: Bachelor’s Degree in music or comparable professional training and experience.
Central United Methodist Church is located across the street from Morris Chapel and the Conservatory of Music of the University of the Pacific. Central has a long history of taking its program of traditional church music seriously. The organ, installed in 1997, is a Rodgers 133 rank, 4 manual electronic instrument. The sounds of this digital organ are based on electronic sampling from a number of the great organs in Europe.
Send resume to: email@example.com
Central United Methodist Church, 3700 Pacific Avenue Stockton, CA 95204. The position will remain open until it is filled.
Contact: Susie Wanden
3700 Pacific Avenue Stockton CA 95204