Reno Cathedral Open
From now through August 28, the public is invited to visit a National Historic Site located in Reno, Nevada. The Cathedral of the First United Methodist Church of Reno, located at 209 West First St. (corner of First and West Streets) was designated a National Historic Site in 1983. One of the first concrete buildings in the Reno area, this Late Gothic Revival building was designed by Wythe, Blaine and Olson, a firm based in Oakland, CA. The cornerstone was laid in 1928 making it one of the oldest remaining church buildings in the area.
Visitors are invited to view the Cathedral on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission is free. Guests will receive historical information about the stained glass, organ and other features of the Cathedral.
Significant features of the building include stained glass windows. The windows were designed and completed by the Cummings Studio in California and feature the Holy Family, the Holy Trinity, the Disciples, the Christian Graces, and the Gospel Writers. Above the largest window is found the Hosanna Arch, added in the early 1940’s. This arch features the faces of over 50 children who attended the church at that time. Working from photographs, the faces were sculpted by Alice English, applied to the arch and dedicated on Mother’s Day 1943 in memory of the late wife of the then minister Rev. Frederick Busher.