Prior to embarking on their Goodwill Tour of Northern Italy, 34 singers from First United Methodist Church (FUMC) of Santa Rosa will present two similar local concerts in a program entitled, "Best of the New Millennium: Sacred American Choral Music."
On Friday, June 14, 8 p.m. the choir will perform at St. Vincent De Paul Church, 35 Liberty St., Petaluma. On Sunday, June 16 at 4 p.m., the choir will perform in the Sanctuary of their home church, First UMC, 1551 Montgomery Dr., Santa Rosa. In appreciation for the long standing support of their community, both these concerts are being given free of charge.
On June 20, the FUMC Tour Choir leaves for a two week "Concert & Outreach Tour of Northern Italy" (see Tour Highlights below). The 34 choir members will perform concerts in Genoa, Florence, and Verona, and participate in worship with Anglican and Catholic congregations.
Preparation for the "2013 Tour" began in 2009. During the past four years more than $20,000 was privately raised, with the money principally earmarked as scholarships to assist singers with the costs of the Tour.
The choir members have backgrounds as diverse as imaginable. They range in age from 16 to 80 something, and place a high value on sharing their spiritual life through choral music and fellowship.
Since 2001 the FUMC Touring Choirs have performed on three previous international music missions: (1) Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Austria; (2) Australia; (3) St. Petersburg, Finland, and Estonia.
FUMC Creative Arts Director Doug Albertson, who conducted the previous international tours, leads three worship choirs weekly. His work at FUMC also includes seasonal programs and concerts, theater productions, and various community outreach activities.
Established in 1854, the First United Methodist Church (FUMC) of Santa Rosa currently ministers to over 700 families, making it California's largest United Methodist congregation north of the Golden Gate.
- Thursday, June 20 — Fly San Francisco to Milano
- Friday, June 21 — Milano to Torino
- Saturday, June 22 — Tour Torino
- Sunday, June 23 — Worship in Genoa
- Monday, June 24 — Evening concert at Church of the Holy Ghost
- Tuesday, June 25 — Excursion to Portofino
- Wednesday, June 26 — Excursion to Cinque Terre
- Thursday, June 27 — Excursion to Sienna & San Gimignano
- Friday, June 28 — Tour Florence
- Evening Concert at Basilica Santa Maria
- Saturday, June 29 — Tour Bologna; Evening Concert in Verona with Coro Montegaleto di Bussolengo
- Sunday, June 30 — Worship in Colognola & Farewell Dinner Celebration
- Monday, July 1 — Tour Venice
- Tuesday, July 2 — Fly Milano to San Francisco