California-Nevada, Peace with Justice Sunday, May 26th
Peace with Justice Sunday is May 26. This denominational Special Sunday offering benefits peace-related ministries in the California-Nevada Annual Conference through the General Board of Church and Society. These California-Nevada ministries have been awarded grants so far this year:
- Glide Memorial Methodist Church in San Francisco, Pastor Karen Oliveto, for the "Tenderloin Neighborhood Focus: Advocacy for Social Justice" program, $750;
- The First United Methodist Church, Carson City, Nevada, Stephan A. Shaw, for The Capitol City Churches Initiative expansion program, $500;
- The First United Methodist Church of Napa, Douglas Cleveland, for training in the "Circles" program, $600;
- Smith River UMC, Madge Patterson, to be used in their Community Garden program, $750;
- San Ramon Valley UMC, Laura Sanchez, for their Palestine/Israel adult education classes and Town Hall format meetings, including David Wildman as a speaker, $1500;
- California-Nevada Immigration Task force, Linda Kuruhara, to help them educate local communities on immigration issues and to mobilize them to advocate for a just and compassionate immigration reform, $600; and,
- Campbell UMC, Elaine Bondonno, for expansion into higher levels of security, their creative arts in worship program at the Santa Clara County jails, $1000.
To apply for a Peace with Justice grant, contact Mary Liebke, Peace with Justice Coordinator, for applications and guidelines at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is August 15.