Peace With Justice Grant Applications Available Now; Due by Aug. 15
July 21, 2011
By Mary Liebke
CA-NV Peace with Justice Coordinator
Peace with Justice grant applications, up to $1500, are available now and due by August 15, 2011.
These grants are funded by the Peace with Justice Special Sundays, in which congregations donate money to be dispersed among programs for peace with justice, here and around the world. What a great opportunity for mission! These grants are administered by our Conference Board of Church & Society.
This year, 2011, we have already funded nine grants:
- $650 to Walnut Creek United Methodist Church, the Rev. Pam Abbey, for the immigrant community, artists in residence, at the Bus Stop Afterschool Program.
- $1200 to First UMC of Carson City, Bob Chambers, to be used by the Capital Cities Circles Initiative workshops for the next 18-24 months.
- $1000 to Ukiah UMC, the Rev. Lisa Warner-Carey, for the "Walk with Me and I Will Walk with You" program, a Peer Support Mental Health Recovery Collaborative program with Manzanita Services.
- $1500 to California Council of Churches IMPACT, the Rev. Dr. Rick Schlosser, toward their work in California governance reform advocacy.
- $500 to Davis UMC, Cidney Barcellow, for the "Grace Garden," a program for advocacy for sustainable gardening practices with the students and the poor.
- $1000 to Kernville UMC, the Rev. Lauren Chaffee, seed monies for the "Middler's Cafe," a program to curb bullying and suicides among at-risk youth.
- $500 to St. Paul's UMC, the Rev. Sandy Gess, toward the stipend for their speaker, Patricia Ellsberg, at the Armistice Remembrance Event on Nov. 11, 2011.
- $750 to Trinity Berkeley UMC, Dorothy P. Wonder, toward expenses during the Trip to Palestine-Israel, led by the Rev. Michael Yoshii, in March, 2011.
- $1000 to First UMC of Pacific Grove, toward medications and transportation costs in the Neighborhood Ministry Program at First UMC, Salinas.
How can we help your church work with peace and justice???
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530.273.3678 for applications and guidelines.
Remember the deadline: August 15th!