Eight Cal-Nev UMCs Have Made Plans to 'Change the World,' May 14-15
March 31, 2011
Will you join them?
Eight United Methodist churches in the California-Nevada Annual Conference have already confirmed their plans to help "Change the World" on this year's Change the World weekend, May 14-15. Projects are as varied as the churches and locations represented. For instance:
- Point Pleasant UMC in Elk Grove plans to build a community garden, with pathways and garden plots, where families in the community can grow their own produce. Church groups will grow produce there for the Elk Grove Food Closet, also.
- Church of the Wayfarer UMC in Carmel will do hands-on ministry including tutoring, tech lab, recreation, and spiritual support for children from an inner city area of a neighboring city.
- Oak Park UMC in Sacramento will conduct a health screening, a Habitat for Humanity event, and a Feeding the Homeless & Hungry event.
- Novato UMC will be "Painting for Peace": The Rev. Rebecca Irelan writes, "City budget cutbacks have eliminated the staff responsible for the removal of graffiti, so the members of Novato UMC will coordinate with city officials and property owners and use the Change the World weekend to paint over graffiti around town."
The Change the World weekend makes it possible for any church – urban or rural, large or small – to make a difference in the local community or the world.
In addition to the eight churches planning events May 14-15, three other Cal-Nev UMCs are conducting world-changing events on other dates in April and May.
Download complete list of announced projects here.
Last year United Methodist churches provided opportunities for 100,000+ people to join in helping to Change the World – one project at a time. With more than 1,000 work sites, in every state (and outside the United States), the first Change the World weekend did make a difference, and continues to reap results.
Even though Change the World was a brand-new, untried concept last year, and the weekend took place in April –12 Cal-Nevada churches agreed to participate! This year there's better awareness, a history of success, and more lead time. We hope many more congregations will join the original 12 for Change the World 2011!
Here's what to do:
1. Identify a project that makes a difference in the local or global community (or both!);
2. Register at www.rethinkchurch.org/changetheworld and download the free flyer (available in English, Chinese, Spanish, Korean, and five other languages);
3. Invite your community to get involved!
United Methodist Communications has other free and discounted resources and sermon starters in a number of languages, to further aid in planning and promoting Change the World events.
A four-week worship and study series – a free resource for adults, youth/young adults, and children – offers a companion multimedia bundle for $25. Churches will receive a coupon for a 50% discount on the bundle after they register to participate in Change the World 2011.
Registered churches also will receive free shipping and postage from product orders placed on cokesbury.com through May 15. The offer applies to both Change the World and non-CTW products.
Plan now to be a part of Change the World 2011!
(And don't forget to share your ideas on the CA-NV Annual Conference's Change the World Facebook page – and be sure to "like" the page!)