The Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders (FUMSDRL), an affiliate organization of the General Board of Discipleship of The United Methodist Church, invites you to sign up for a national training seminar in Tucson, Arizona, Friday-Monday, October 22-25, to gain "a foundational understanding from various cultural perspectives in faith formation, and to learn how to expand ministry into diverse cultures."
The seminar, "Geography of the Soul: Barrenness and Beauty – A seminar for Personal Formation and Leadership Development," will be located in the "barrenness and beauty" of the desert at Redemptorist Renewal Center.
The FUMSDRL organization has more than 800 United Methodists connected throughout the nation for support, training and networking. Its focus is transforming lives, and deepening discipleship. This ministry is achieved through teaching and training congregational, district, Conference, and national leadership to lead from a spiritually forming stance.
The "Geography of the Soul" Keynote Speaker is: Sister Dawn Annette Mills, a Benedictine Sister of Perpetual Adoration at Clyde, Missouri – a word weaver and storyteller committed to promoting a lively and prayerful relationship with the Holy and the work of seeking God. Sister Dawn will offer four daily presentations:
The Wilderness: Where God Speaks
The Wilderness: Where the Demons Live
Water in the Wilderness
The Garden of the Heart
There are a variety of explorations planned for Saturday and Sunday of the seminar. Weekend workshops include:
- Creativity Unleashed: The Art Studio, led by Rev. Paul Coury, C.SsR.
- Desert Dreaming: The Dream Group as Enrichment for the Soul, led by Connie Bovier and Becky Youngblood
- Spiritual Direction with the Poor and Marginalized, led by Rev. Donita Harris
- Mestisaje, Diapora, & Barrio: The Landscape of the Latiano/a Soul, led by Rev. Juan Huertas
- Trouble / Triumph / Transcendence: Spiritual Direction and the African-American Soul, with Rev. Sherry Johnson
- Music in Spiritual Formation and Direction: Experiencing and Expressing Barrenness and Beauty, with Rev. John Blinn
- The Father Wound: Isaac and Ishmael in Spiritual Direction, with Ralph Howe
- Evening Experience: Mentoring Leaders through Spiritual Direction and Formation, with Rev. Brenda Buckwell
- Extended Day Options into the Tucson Area also are available
Single room cost is $400 for FUMSDRL members and $450 for non-members; double room $350 for FUMSDRL members and $400 for non-members. The registration deadline is September 20.
Honoring the diversity and expression of the other's God experience in the midst of humanity is imperative in the multicultural 21st century. This vital experience will open new venues for training leaders within the congregation and revitalizing churches.