Anna Pidlypchak and Shelby Stockdale, both from Portola United Methodist Church, have been chosen to attend the Global Youth Convocation this summer in Berlin, Germany. This event is held every four years and attended by thousands of United Methodist youth from around the world, "to celebrate the mission and vitality of young people in The United Methodist Church" by:
· raising the joys and concerns of young people from the global community
· developing young people as leaders for effective ministry in local churches and communities of faith
· highlighting emerging trends in youth and young adult ministry
· providing a common forum that embraces the global reality of the church
In addition, they hope to:
· advocate for the concerns of young people around the world
· help young people work as agents of peace, justice, and mercy
· help the church embrace God's call on the lives of young people
Anna and Shelby are just two of 25 youth and young adults from the California-Nevada Annual Conference who will be attending the Global Youth Convocation. Each of them must raise approximately $2,500 to pay for registration, flights, and expenses. The young women have several fundraising events planned in their community, and would love for you to prayerfully consider financial support.
You are welcome to donate to Anna or Shelby specifically, or to the event in general. Please make your checks payable to Portola UMC and note "Global Youth Convocation" on the memo line. Send to: Portola UMC, 397 4th Avenue, Portola CA 96122.
For more information about the event contact Kelly Newell, Conference Director of Youth Ministries, at 916.374.1515, or the Rev. Dawn Pidlypchak at 530.301.4890. You may also visit the event website at www.globalyoungpeople.org.