Lenten Project for Haiti: 'Operation Resurrection 2010'
February 17, 2010
A Compassionate Response to the Earthquake From the Western Jurisdiction
On this, Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, the bishops and other leaders of the Western Jurisdiction of The United Methodist Church are calling on their people and churches to devote themselves to a special Lenten project focused on Haiti. "Operation Resurrection 2010" honors the spirit of the Haitian people and of the UMC staff members who were caught in the January 12 earthquake which devastated that nation.
The Rev. Dr. Sam Dixon, chief executive of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR), and the Rev. Clinton Rabb, head of the Office of Mission Volunteers for the General Board of Global Ministries, lost their lives in the collapse of the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince. The Rev. Jim Gulley was rescued.
"Operation Resurrection 2010" has four goals. That, during Lent:
1. Individuals and/or churches will take steps to learn about Haiti's history, culture, and economy
2. Gifts totaling $100,000 will be raised within the conferences of the Western Jurisdiction, for UMCOR's relief and recovery efforts in Haiti
3. The conferences of the Western Jurisdiction will organize (or identify leadership for) 25 Volunteer in Mission (VIM) trips to Haiti, to be carried out over the course of the next five years
4. The conferences of the Western Jurisdiction will donate 23,000 health kits to replace those already shipped to Haiti from the UMCOR West Depot
How can you help?
Goal # 1 – Learn About Haiti's History, Culture, and Economy:
As a first step, visit the following sites:
Goal #2 – Gifts Totaling $100,000:
· Remember the people of Haiti in worship and receive a special offering
· Encourage a discipline of Lenten giving
· Make a personal contribution
· Host a Haiti relief fundraiser with your neighbors
(Note: Read How to Give to Haiti Emergency)
Goal # 3 – 25 VIM Trips to Haiti:
· Volunteer for a future trip by visiting http://secure.gbgm-umc.org/HaitiVolunteer/
· Consider organizing a team from your local church or district, and/or leading a team
· Sponsor a young person to join a VIM team
· Contact the Cal-Nevada UMVIM Office for more information: Phil Bandy, firstname.lastname@example.org or Eddie Frutchey, email@example.com
Goal # 4 – 23,000 Health Kits:
· Ask members of your Sunday School class, youth group, UMW, etc. to assemble health kits to send to UMCOR West (Note: Read Churches Serving as Collection Points for Health Kits for Haiti and San Jose District Health Kit Drop-off Instructions)
· Schedule a VIM trip to Salt Lake City to help assemble kits by contacting Phil Bandy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gifts already received will count toward the goals - but churches and individuals are encouraged not to be restricted by those goals, but to practice radical generosity that knows no limits!
Track the progress of our giving on the Western Jurisdiction website at http://westernjurisdictionumc.org; click on Conference Totals. (Note: We are in the process of compiling information about California-Nevada giving and health kit donations to date. Look for that information to be posted soon.)
Click on Haiti Earthquake Response on the Western Jurisdiction website to learn more.