San Jose District Health Kit Drop-off Instructions
February 09, 2010
There are several ways to drop off health kits for pick-up in the San Jose District during the month of February:
· Take them to Almaden Hills UMC Tuesday afternoons, 1-3; or Saturdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (Call Almaden Hills UMC coordinators Gene and Elaine Hill, 408.226.6801, or Dave Wolf, 408.268.5806, to arrange other drop-off times.)
· On Saturday, February 13 take them to the San Jose District Quarterly Conference, 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., held at the Korean UMC of Santa Clara Valley, 1001 Ginger Lane, San Jose.
· On Saturday, February 28 take them to Los Altos UMC.
Kits will be shipped on March 1. Read Churches Serving as Collection Points for Health Kits for Haiti and Health Kits for Haiti Relay Scheduled for End of Month for more information.
Phil Bandy, Interim Director of the California-Nevada Volunteers in Mission Office, has written 10 steps to Haiti, which provides information about other ways to help.
For more information contact Becky Perry, UMVIM co-coordinator, San Jose District, at email@example.com or 831.338.4998.
Please note that you may donate complete kits, as well as raw materials for kits.
For complete kits, you are urged to follow the instructions precisely and without exception. For instance, the request is for one toothbrush in its original wrapper: do not include a package with two or more. The comb should not have a handle or be a pocket comb, but a sturdy comb 7” to 9” in length. No notes, or national or religious symbols can be accepted. Most of the items can be purchased expensively at stores such as Big Lots! or Dollar Tree.
The health kit, packaged in a one-gallon zip lock bag, should contain only the following items:
· 1 hand towel (15” x 25” up to 17” x 27”; no kitchen towels)
· 1 washcloth
· 1 comb (7” to 9”; no pocket combs or combs with handle)
· 1 nail file or fingernail clippers (no emery boards or toenail clippers)
· 1 bath-size bar of wrapped soap (3 oz. and up)
· 1 toothbrush (single brush in original wrapper; no child-size brushes)
· 6 adhesive plastic strip sterile bandages (often called Band-Aids)
UMCOR also requests – (separate envelope, not in bag)
· $1 per kit to purchase toothpaste (UMCOR makes the purchase)
· $1 per kit to help with shipping costs to final destination
Almaden Hills UMC is located at 1200 Blossom Hill Road, San Jose, CA. Drive one long block south of Hwy 85 on Almaden Expressway; turn left on Blossom Hill Road; drive three blocks; the church is on the left.