Fire at Shasta Camp Destroys Cabin, Injures Caretaker

February 25, 2009

The caretaker at United Methodist-owned Shasta Camp, in Northern California, narrowly escaped an early-morning explosion and fire on Thursday, February 19 which destroyed his cabin and a woodshed.


Paul Armantrout was awakened at around 6:30 a.m. by a large explosion which shook the cabin and caused part of the loft to fall crashing onto his bed. He jumped up and discovered the bathroom area on fire, and attempted to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.


When he was unable to suppress the flames, Armantrout fled the cabin and walked barefoot, in his pajamas, approximately a quarter-mile to where his truck was parked near the road. On the way he encountered one of his cats, Amos, scooped him up and took him with him. His other cat, UMC, was still missing on Friday.


Armantrout was transported by ambulance to Mercy Hospital in Mount Shasta, suffering from apparent frostbite and shock, in addition to cuts and abrasions to his feet. He was treated and released and was staying with his sister-in-law, the Rev. Pamela Coy-Armantrout, pastor of the Mt. Shasta Community and Dunsmuir UMCs.  


Shasta Camp is located eight miles west of the town of Mt. Shasta, in the mountains of the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. It has served organizations, groups, and individual campers, providing summer and winter accommodations, for 60 years.