Carson City First UMC Hosts Legislative Event
By the Rev. Rob Jennings-Teats
First UMC, Carson City,
On February 2, the opening day of the Nevada State Legislature,
The church's Methodist Men served breakfast to 120 participants. Following prayer [led by the Rev. Rob Jennings-Teats, at left] and breakfast, keynote speakers - including Nevada Supreme Court Chief Justice James Hardesty, Assembly Speaker Barbara Buckley, and Senate Majority Leader Steven Horsford - presented important information regarding issues that the legislature is likely to be confronted with during the upcoming term. Pressing topics of criminal justice reform, the abolition of the death penalty, the need for budget and tax reform, and the need for affordable housing were presented and discussed.
Eight Bishops and Moderators or their representatives were in attendance, marking the first time in
Many of those in attendance at the legislative event met with their legislators and communicated RAIN's agenda as advocates for social justice in
RAIN's stated agenda of priorities for this legislative session include:
1. Need for a stable, responsible tax system.
2. Adequate funding for programs of social justice.
3. Affordable and accessible health care for all.
4. Affordable housing.
5. A minimum wage that reflects human dignity.
6. The abolition of the death penalty.
7. Criminal justice reform and prison population reduction.