Abide in Love Offers Help to Churches for National Marriage Week
ABIDE in LOVE asks churches to recognize National Valentine's/Marriage Week, from February 8 through 15.
The United Methodist Healthy Marriage project encourages all pastors and lay leaders to celebrate committed relationships and marriage and to recognize their importance to our children, families, community, and society. We are asked to emphasize the role of love in the church and family life.
- Develop a Valentine's Week banquet, reception, or Date Night on Friday or Saturday night with a short program and childcare - to help couples have a child-free, romantic evening together. For other resources go to www.marriagealive.com.
- Recognize the longest married couples, newest relationships, widows/widowers who are remembering absent loved ones, and all couples in committed relationships.
- Send a notice of these events to your local news media to make it known to your community that the intimate relationships of marriage and other committed relationships is the best for the health and welfare of men, women, and children in all relationships, both straight and gay. For research data on this go to "RESEARCH" at http://www.camarriage.com.
- On one of the Sundays, hold renewal of vows ceremonies during or after worship, at a reception, or at a banquet. See http://www.umcmarriage.com/VowRenewal.html, for more information.
- Use the suggested announcement (below) for your Sunday Bulletins on February 1 and 8.
Valentine's Day Date Night Event
Valentine's Day is Saturday, February 14. Our church wants to encourage people to celebrate marriage and all committed loving relationships. To that end, the church will hold a special Date Night program [or other program] on Saturday night, February 14 at 7 p.m. Childcare will be provided. Please bring refreshments to share. After a short presentation, couples will go out on a date while the children remain in childcare. Children need to be picked up by 9 p.m. A $10 (optional) donation from each couple, to help cover the cost of childcare, will be appreciated.