Peace With Justice Sunday
Peace With Justice Sunday is celebrated on May 31 (or another Sunday could be chose by a local church. Peace with Justice Sunday supports programs that advocate peace and justice in the United States, and around the world. Half of this Special Sunday offering is retained in the California-Nevada Annual Conference to fund local Peace with Justice programming, and half is remitted to the General Board of Church and Society (GBCS) in Washington, D.C., to help fund U.S. and global work in social action, public policy education, and advocacy. For more information and resources to promote this Special Sunday, click here.
The following California-Nevada ministries have received some funding through the Peace With Justice offering:
- First UMC, Pacific Grove, Jane Cross, $1500 for the One Starfish safe parking for homeless program;
- First UMC, Redding, Marv Steinberg, $1500 for the Genocide No More, Save Darfur, Moving Beyond Witness program;
- UMC Merced, Rev. George Bennett, $1000 for the Merced Prison Project;
- Pine UMC, Jeanelle Abiola, $750 for the Cal-Nev Philippine Solidarity Task Force and Network on Religion and Justice for Asian Pacific Islander LGBTQ People “Justice At The Intersections” Project;
- Wesley UMC, Fresno, Jackie Holmes, $1500 for the start up Circles program;
- California Church IMPACT, The Rev. Dr. Rick Schlosser, $1500 for the one time support of the expansion of the Activist/Advocacy Alert System; and
- Temple UMC, JFON-BAIT, Belinda Robinson, $1500 for the Mexico/U.S. Border Seminar.
California-Nevada Conference grant guidelines and applications for up to $1500 are available by e-mailing email@example.com, and due August 15.