- The California Nevada Conference of the UMC
- Congregational Development
- Higher Education and Campus Ministry
- Student Loan and Scholarship Program
United Methodist Student Loan & Scholarship Program
"Supporting generations of Methodist students for more than 135 years"
The United Methodist Scholarship and Loan Programs are a church wide educational service providing scholarships and loans to help supplement the financial needs of today's students. Funding for these scholarships and loans are provided through offerings, wills, annuities, and other designated gifts. Through the Loan Program, students may borrow up to $5,000 per year at 5 percent interest (Five for Five Program). The 135-year-old United Methodist Student Loan Fund is the oldest student loan fund in the United States.
There are a number of scholarship opportunities for United Methodist students in the CA-NV Annual Conference. This announcement summarizes some of those opportunities.
2013-2014 CONFERENCE AWARD FOR SCHOLASTIC EXCELLENCE
TBA for 2015
Summary: $500 - $1,000 for a United Methodist student attending a UM College.
Contact: Shari Sandoval, 916-374-1528 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: April 15, 2014
UNITED METHODIST HIGHER EDUCATION FOUNDATION
The United Methodist Higher Education Foundation is a national foundation based in Nashville, Tennessee, UMHEF is dedicated to helping students achieve their dreams. UMHEF provides scholarship aid for United Methodist students attending the over 100 United Methodist-related institutions. The UMHEF is a leader in church-related foundations and agencies in providing scholarship support to United Methodist students attending United Methodist higher education institutions.
GENERAL BOARD OF HIGHER EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS
Summary: 2015 Fall Scholarship Applications close March 5
Scholarships are awarded on an academic year basis. A student is eligible to receive only one United Methodist scholarship during any one academic year from the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) funds.
GBHEM scholarships assist students from various backgrounds working toward various higher education degrees. Applicants may be enrolled at any accredited institution within the United States to be eligible.
GBHEM administers over 50 scholarship programs with varied criteria and deadlines. The Scholarship Office reviews each application to determine the best program for the student.
Who may apply? An applicant must be:
- an active, full member of a United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying
- admitted full time to a degree program in an accredited college or university WITHIN the United States
- must have a grade point average of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- high school students may apply if they will be college students in the fall term.
Find out more on the GBHEM Scholarships
GENERAL BOARD OF HIGHER EDUCATION STUDENT LOAN
Summary: Up to $5,000 per year; $15,000 maximum per student; currently 5%
Who may borrow? An applicant must:
- be an active, full member of a United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to application
- be admitted to a degree program in an accredited college/university OR a degree candidate attending a professional or graduate school accredited by its respective professional accrediting agency
- maintain at least a C average (or equivalent)
- high school student may apply if they will be college students in the fall term.
Find out more on the GBHEM Loans