Office Administrator-First UMC, Reno, NV
1. PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Act as receptionist, receive visitors, answer phones and direct calls and messages
- Compose and/or type correspondence, acknowledgements, letters, certificates, and forms.
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Reply to or distribute voice mail messages from telephone and email when entering the office in the morning and after lunch or absences. Update voice mail greeting as necessary.
- Maintain and backup Church Windows database and phone directory for staff. Maintain several different mailings lists and email lists.
- Accept and review building use form requests, send to Trustees for approval, as necessary, and maintain master calendar. Update contract information on forms and website. Make sure insurance certificates are submitted by requesting party, collect deposits and payments, and find hosts for the events.
- Recruit, train and supervise office volunteers.
- Forward instructions to custodians regarding room setup for meetings and special events; schedule miscellaneous projects and repairs with them or by direction of the Trustees.
- Attend Staff meetings.
- Order and manage all office and custodial supplies and other items as necessary. Prepares & adheres to the Administration budget.
- Coordinate with insurance company for repair claims.
- Review Table/Chair Loan Requests to ensure adequate tables and chairs are available for church use.
- Contact alarm company regarding changes in codes, and repairs to the system. Train church members and guests on the alarm and be available to assist them when they have problems with the system by phone or in person.
- Take wedding inquiries over the phone or in person. Fill out bridal party information forms and forward to wedding coordinator and pastor. Show brides and family around church if they request it. Accept deposits and payments.
- Submit church events to the newspaper. Ex: Adult Education classes or holy week schedule.
- Gather information for the Annual Church conference and put booklets together and copy. Also for the end of the year Annual Statistics Report that needs to be submitted on-line to the CA-NV Annual Conference website.
- Input weekly church attendance and offering information to the CA-NV Annual Conference Vital Signs website.
- Act as liaison with committees and staff and the website coordinator to update the Church website.
- Manage the new photo directories from vendor every few years. Meet with representatives, schedule sitting appointments, design the booklet and cover. Make ordering decisions.
- Photograph church events for the newsletter and various brochures.
- Maintaining the church postage machine; cleaning, updates, replacement parts, etc.
- Counts weekly offering and other income with at least one church member present. Ensures that the deposits are taken to the bank weekly.
- Record financial transactions, (debits & credits) in the computer accounting system.
- Work with the Financial Secretary to assure continuity and correctness in crediting proper accounts.
- Prepare financial statements for committees of the church as necessary or requested, provide advice on financial status.
- May serve as acting Treasurer in the absence of the Treasurer.
- Reconciles the three bank accounts monthly. General fund, Money Market, and Pastor’s Discretionary fund. Print the appropriate reports and give Finance Committee and Church Council copies of the reports.
- Filing of invoices, ordering of checks and deposit slips.
- Maintains accounting software, updates, trains new users, etc.
- Printing and Publication
- Prepare the Sunday worship bulletins and special service bulletins as necessary.
- Prepare monthly newsletter (The Visitor), and distribute via email and USPS by the first of each month.
- Input electronic mailing into www.uspspostalone.com and take mail to post office as necessary.
- Supervise volunteers to copy, fold, and collate: bulletins, newsletters, and brochures.
- Creates, updates, and prints the following brochures. Mailings, etc:
Church history brochure Hosanna arch brochure
Adult Ed brochure Reconciling brochure
Welcome brochure Name tags
Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter letters
Stewardship graph and mailings
Foundation brochure Advent book
Poinsettia and Easter flower inserts.
Creates all forms in the church including wedding forms, building use forms, staff forms, job descriptions, etc.
- Community Services and Pastor’s Discretionary (P.D.) Fund
- Receive and evaluate requests for financial assistance and refer to the proper community agency.
- Discuss special needs requests with the Pastor for use of P.D. Fund.
- Maintain liaison with community agencies involved in providing assistance to those in need.
- Check signer on the account so bank will respond to her questions.
E. Other Duties
- Assist other staff and volunteers as necessary. This includes opening doors, carrying items, setting up tables and chairs, and working through lunch hours or staying late.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Pastor.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Office and administrative experience required.
- Both paid and volunteer work experience will be considered.
- Computer experience required using the most current software for word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, network, Internet searches & file storage.
- Special Skills and Qualities
- Ability to work with interruptions, deadlines, and details.
- Flexibility in work schedule.
- People skills: empathy and genuine liking for people.
- Ability to type at least 40 words per minute.
- Proficiency in business English.
3. COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation will be based on experience and will be determined by the Church Council.
- Health insurance coverage is available through CA NV Annual Conference plan at employee’s expense.
4. WORK SCHEDULE
- Average of 40 hours/week.
5. SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION
- The Office Administrator is supervised by the Pastor.
- Evaluation will be annually by July 31 for preceding year July 1- June 30.
- Evaluation will be by the Pastor and SPRC.
- Evaluations will be oral and written.
- Written evaluations will be submitted to the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Employee will submit a brief written self-evaluation.
- Employee will be on a three-month probationary period upon being hired.
- Employee will prepare performance objectives each year.
6. POLICY STATEMENTS
A. Personnel policies as established by Staff Parish Relations Committee will apply.