Reconciling Ministries Network Executive Director
The Board of Directors of Reconciling Ministries Network (RMN) seeks a resourceful and visionary leader to pursue RMNs goal to create a fully inclusive United Methodist Church for all Gods children, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer United Methodists. In partnership with RMNs board and staff, the successful candidate will expand upon RMNs 28 years of successful grassroots organizing in the United States, five years of national campaigns, and a recent launch of international work with United Methodists in Africa, the Philippines, and Europe. The candidate will be familiar with the United Methodist faith experience and skilled at articulating a vision that continues to draw resources to advance RMNs mission and implement the organizations strategic plan.
ABOUT RECONCILING MINISTRIES NETWORK
Reconciling Ministries Network, founded in 1984, is a faith-based non-profit organization mobilizing United Methodists of all sexual orientations and gender identities to transform the church and world into the full expression of Christs inclusive love. Operating with a $1.2M annual budget, six full-time staff, multiple contractors, hundreds of volunteers and thousands of Reconciling United Methodists, RMN serves over 500 United Methodist congregations, campus ministries, communities and regional networks.
The organization is built on a relational organizing approach of movement building and transformational change. Utilizing research and proven methodologies, RMN pursues best practices in communications and technologies to create safe sanctuaries and just policies for LGBTQ United Methodists, their families, and friends. A full record of RMNs historic achievements and current activities can be found at www.rmnetwork.org.
Reconciling Ministries Network is at the forefront of ecumenical faith organizing for LGBTQ equality. RMN pursues its goals in collaboration with secular organizers who are at the intersections of both oppression and privilege. Grounding its ministry in the Wesleyan quadrilateral of scripture, tradition, reason, and experience, and balancing both personal and social holiness, RMN stands at the center of United Methodism in freeing individuals, congregations, and the denomination itself from anti-inclusion discrimination.
The Executive Director is the senior management position for the organization, with primary accountability for the accomplishments and fiscal integrity of the entire organization. The ED works with the Board of Directors to determine the focus and direction of the organization including the strategic plan to achieve RMNs vision. The ED is responsible for developing the organizations capabilities, acting as its spokesperson and representing it before others.
The ED leads an organizational team of six full-time staff, and four part-time contract staff, and a large volunteer corps. The ED supervises four direct reports:
Associate Executive Director
Director of Development
Central Conference Coordinator
National Events Coordinator
CORE STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS
The Board and staff leaders of Reconciling Ministries Network recently reviewed the current status of its programs and the near term opportunities and challenges for pursuing its mission. To continue building on its achievements, six broad strategic goals were formed. The incoming executive director will be charged with leading the staffs formulation and implementation of the specific strategies needed to achieve these goals.
- Increase the quantity and capacity of Reconciling Congregations (RCs), Reconciling United Methodists (RUMs), and regional action teams to faithfully act from the heart of a renewed and revitalized United Methodist Church in the United States.
- Live out the connectionalism of a world-wide church with the clergy, laity, and LGBT groups of the Central Conferences through communication and relationship building, identifying both unique needs and common causes.
- Participate in the current and future connectional processes and power structures of The United Methodist Church as well as emerging alternative Methodist/Wesleyan structures, calling those at all levels of authority and discipleship to faithfulness for our shared mission.
- Model Gods diverse creation through the full participation of persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities in the Reconciling Movement, including diverse leadership development with intentional emphasis upon the full inclusion of LGBT persons, young adults, and people of color.
- Deepen collaboration with allied organizations regarding causes and issues that support the full inclusion of persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and overcoming all forms of oppression within the Church and world.
- Build on the work the Director of Development has begun to raise the visibility of RMN and to generate significant new dollars from major donors and other private sources. Grow the capacity of the board of directors to support efforts to raise agency visibility and raise more private dollars.
Provides exemplary spiritual leadership
Using the principles of faith based community organizing builds relationships within The United Methodist Church (UMC)
Serves as official representative of the organization to denominational agencies, conferences, the episcopacy and ecumenical and secular partners
Consults and advocates on behalf of LGBTQ lay and clergy United Methodists throughout the church
Recruits and trains a collegial staff and volunteers to pursue RMNs strategic priorities
Communicates consistently and effectively with the Board of Directors and the UMC church and public through writing and public speaking
Works with the Communications Coordinator to develop and coordinate media via print, web, and PR that effectively articulate the vision, mission and activities of RMN
- Collaborates with the Associate Executive Director to devise and implement additional programming opportunities consistent with the vision and mission of the organization
- Provides leadership for coordinating teams for major campaigns and biannual convocations
- In collaboration with the board, represents RMN to Common Witness and other UM coalition building efforts
- Represents RMN to the ecumenical coalition of Welcoming Church Program Leaders, the Religious Leaders Roundtable of The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, The Bishops and Elders Council (ecumenical), and other secular, ecumenical and interfaith organizations
- Coordinates staff and board members for witness, action, and organizing at annual conferences, general conference, jurisdictional conferences, judicial council, bishops council sessions, and church trials as prioritized
With the Treasurer and Board of Directors manages RMN finances within budget and with good stewardship
- Provides stewardship for the board in recruiting members, coordinating periodic trainings, and supporting best practices in nonprofit governance
- Collaborates with the Director of Development and the Board of Directors to manage fundraising efforts including the nurture of existing donors, solicitation of major gifts/foundation grants, and the cultivation of new donors
Location and Travel Requirement
- The chosen candidate will be required to locate in Chicago.
The position demands significant job-related travel; the executive is on the road approximately 40 - 50% of the time.
- Passion for the mission of the Reconciling Ministries Network
- Familiarity with United Methodist theology and form of governance
- History of engagement in a church community
- Life experience with GLBTQ persons and equal rights movement
- Cultural competence successful work experience in groups that are diverse across races, ethnicities, gender identities, and sexual orientations
- Five years experience as an organizational administrator and leader
- Record of successful fund development, preferably including the acquisition of major donors
- Experience in building coalitions for pursuit of policy goals
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking
- Superb conflict resolution skills
- Bachelors degree
BENEFICIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Leadership experience in a faith-based organization, a nonprofit organization, and/or an LGBTQ organization
- Competence with current electronic technologies, including the use of social media as core communication tools
- An advanced college degree; a degree in theology
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary offered is competitive with executive positions in comparable organizations and will be based on the candidates experience and qualifications. A relocation allowance will be provided to out of area candidates. The benefits package offers competitive medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage with a choice of HMO or PPO, short term disability coverage and an employer-matched pension plan which vests after one year of employment.
Tim Wolfred Consulting, a San Francisco based executive search firm, has been retained by Reconciling Ministries Network to conduct the candidate search. Applicants should send their resumes and cover letters describing their qualifications and interest in the position to RMN@WolfredConsulting.com. Application deadline is January 11, 2013
Please note that the candidate screening and interview process will take place over the first three weeks in February.
Address: 281 Santa Clara Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610