Job Announcement for Youth Group Leader
United Methodist Church (UMC) of Davis
Under the direction of the UMCD Pastor and the Children and Youth Ministries Director, the Youth Group Leader is responsible for the development and implementation of activities that nurture the well-being and spiritual growth of the youth (seventh through twelfth grades) at Davis UMC. The position is hourly and will average approximately 10 hours per week, 11 months per year, with up to an additional 100 hours potentially available, with prior approval. Pay rate is $12.00/hour. Hours each week will fluctuate in accordance with planning and involvement in special events such as the youth mission trip, fundraisers and service projects. Position is subject to a background and fingerprint clearance.
- Share the mission, progressive Christian theology and social justice concerns of UMCD and be able to communicate same (in word and deed) with the youth;
- Have experience working with youth in a leadership or counseling capacity;
- Possess an understanding of the differing maturation of junior and senior high youth and be able to adjust expectations and interactions accordingly;
- Enjoy worshiping, teaching, motivating, nurturing, playing and working with youth;
- Be well grounded in his/her own faith journey;
- Possess good verbal and written skills; and
- Demonstrate an ability to recruit volunteers and build constructive relationships with teens and adults.
- Prepare for and implement an engaging faith-based evening youth group that is consistent with the theological and social justice principles of DUMC, involves youth in planning and execution, promotes camaraderie among youth members, and appropriately supports youth in their individual faith journeys;
- Attend the second Sunday morning worship service and welcome youth without families present to join you. Stay after church for 15 minutes to participate in fellowship time and communicate with youth and others from the service;
- Develop strategies to nurture the Christian leadership skills of youth and develop supportive faith-focused relationships with youth, as appropriate, by communicating with them during the week, and keeping them informed of youth group events;
- Build the youth program and work with youth and adult volunteers to engage new youth and to sustain and strengthen ongoing youth ministries;
- Ensure that parents are regularly informed about youth activities and that permission slips and Safe Sanctuary policies are respected;
- Develop and implement youth fundraisers, youth service projects; worship participation, outreach activities, and youth participation in district and conference-wide events;
- Assist in the planning and execution of a one-week mission trip or service-learning project;
- Publicize programs and events; keep the congregation informed of and involved in the youth ministries;
- Prepare and manage the annual goals and budget; and
- Perform additional duties as requested by the Children & Youth Ministries Director or Pastor in support of youth ministries and other church programs.
Address: 1620 Anderson Road, Davis, CA 95616